Campus Y Collection
Scope and Contents
The Campus Y Collection dates from 1953-1997, with some undated materials. The collection documents San Diego State University's campus YMCA-YWCA from its beginnings on campus to its last years in the late 1990s. It consists mostly of paper records. Included in the collection are: the Campus Y constitution and bylaws, College Y Advisory Board minutes, newspaper clippings, miscellaneous books and brochures on the draft, and several scrapbooks detailing events and camps sponsored by the YMCA-YWCA. Materials are arranged alphabetically.
- Campus Y (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
In 1930, a donation of $6000 was given to the YWCA for the purpose of building the Ellen Scripps Cottage on the San Diego State College campus. The YWCA gave the money to the college, which contributed another $6000 to the project. Scripps Cottage was built to be "used as a social and activities center for the benefit of the women students of the college" and was put under the general supervision of the Associated Women of the College. The San Diego State College Campus Y was established in 1947 as an informal joint YMCA-YWCA. In 1953, it moved its headquarters to Scripps cottage.
The Campus Y served as an association of students and faculty who sought to develop an inclusive community where together they could "freely inquire, share, worship, learn, take action and experience the relevance of the Christian faith to problems college students faced." The Y was open to all members of the campus community regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, or faith. By offering a number of programs, the Campus Y sought to develop informal contacts between students and faculty.
7.59 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
I. General Files
II. Campus Y Draft Counseling
III. Photographs and Scrapbooks
- Conscientious objectors--California--San Diego--History--20th century--Sources
- Draft--History--20th century--Sources
- Organizational Records
- San Diego State University--Students--Social life and customs--20th century--Sources
- San Diego State University--Students--Societies, etc
- United States--Armed Forces--Recruiting, enlistment, etc.--History--20th century--Sources
- YMCA-YWCA (San Diego State University)--Archives
- YMCA-YWCA (San Diego State University)--History--Sources
- Campus Y Collection
- Jennifer Hollander and David Neptune
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note