San Diego County Department of Transportation Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of histories, surveyor reports, grand jury reports on the office of the County Surveyor, and correspondence.
- 1903 - 1949
- Department of Transportation (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
In July 1974 the Public Works and Engineering Departments merged and became San Diego County's Department of Transportation. The Department had four subdivisions: Airports, which maintained Brown and Gillespie Fields; Streets, which was responsible for maintenance, lights, the storm drainage system, and signals; Design, which planned new routes, parking facilities, speed zones, and conducted traffic studies; and the Special Transportation Division, which operated the "Dial-a-Ride" service for the elderly and disabled. The Department lost its title in July of 1978 because of insufficient funds due to Proposition 13.
0.21 Linear Feet (One half-size Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
San Diego County Department of Transportation
- Corporate Records
- Regional planning--California--San Diego County--History--20th century--Sources
- Roads--California--San Diego County--History--20th century--Sources
- San Diego County (Calif.). County Surveyor
- San Diego County (Calif.). Dept. of Transportation--Archives
- Transportation--California--San Diego County--History--20th century--Sources
- San Diego County Department of Transportation Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note