Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce Records
Scope and Contents
The Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce Records (1922-1975) document the operation and activities of the Chamber, with an emphasis on community upkeep and development. The files consist of meeting minutes, correspondence, financial statements, maps, surveys, committee files, and reports. The collection is divided into six series: Board of Director Minutes (1937-1972), Committee Files (1947-1958), General Correspondence (1935-1976), Officers' Correspondence (1935-1976), Financial Records (1937-1975), and Office Files (1946-1976).
The Board of Director Meeting Minutes (1937-1972) document Board of Director activities, including decisions regarding road repair, community upkeep, and Chamber events. Arranged chronologically, these files consist of minutes about Chamber operations, resolutions, community issues, decisions, and events.
The Committee Meeting Minutes Files (1947-1958) document the operation and administration of Chamber committees, including the Membership Committee, Advisory Committee, Scout Committee, Steering Committee, Road Committee, Sewer Project Committee, and Horseshow and Carnival Committee. Arranged alphabetically by committee title, this series consists of meeting minutes. Materials in these files primarily date from the 1950s.
The General Correspondence Files (1935-1976) document Chamber activities, operations, and administration. These files are arranged chronologically, and include letters regarding Chamber events and community projects, resolutions, receipts, and bulletins. Because the Chamber was inactive during the Second World War, there is no correspondence for 1944 and 1945.
The Officers' Correspondence Files (1935-1976) document the activities of the Chamber's officers, including the President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Highlights include correspondence relating to Lemon Grove's fire protection. This series is arranged by Chamber office and board. Incoming and outgoing correspondence for each office is separated into different files. As with the General Correspondence Files, there is no correspondence during 1943-1945.
The Financial Records (1937-1975) document the various financial transactions and fiscal operations of the Chamber. Arranged by document type (i.e. financial statements, checks paid, etc), these files include statements, receipt books, member dues, and Audit Committee materials.
The Office Files (1946-1976) document Chamber events, projects, and day-to-day operations. Of particular interest are the Chamber-sponsored rodeo programs dating from the 1950s. This series includes legal materials, surveys, event files, maps, external publications, Lem-o-grams, bulletins, and Coordinating Council meeting minutes.
- Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
William H. West, one of the largest lemon grove owners in Lemon Grove, established the Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce in 1926, and served as the organization's first president. The Chamber's mission was to promote local business, which in the 1920s primarily consisted of citrus growers, and to improve the community by overseeing the maintenance of roads, garbage collection, and fire protection. During the Second World War, the Chamber became inactive; however in 1946 the organization quickly revived itself under the direction of George B. White.
By the 1950s, Lemon Grove had become a residential area, and membership in the Chamber consisted of a combination of businessmen and residents. The Chamber's mission during these years focused not only on local business, but also on community maintenance and sustainability issues including water development, fire protection, sanitation, and schools. In 2008, the Lemon Grove Chamber merged with the East County Chamber of Commerce, which also includes La Mesa, Alpine, Rancho San Diego, Santee, Lakeside, and Spring Valley.
4.95 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
I. Board of Directors Minutes, 1937-1972
II. Committee Files, 1947-1958
III. General Correspondence, 1935-1976
IV. Officers' Correspondence, 1935-1976
V. Financial Records, 1937-1975
VI. Office Files, 1946-1976
Source of Acquisition
Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce
Accruals and Additions
Series 1: Fruit Growers Association Minutes was removed from this collection and integrated into the Lemon Grove Fruit Growers Association Records (MS-0150).
Series 8: Lemon Grove History and Sonka Papers was also removed. The Lemon Grove History file included bulletins and meeting minutes which were incorporated into the Office Files series. The Sonka file was integrated into the Anthony F. Sonka Papers (MS-0242).
- Citrus fruit industry--California--Lemon Grove--History--Sources
- Citrus fruit industry--California--Lemon Grove--Sources
- Lemon Grove (Calif.)--Commerce--Sources
- Lemon Grove (Calif.)--Economic conditions--Sources
- Lemon Grove (Calif.)--History--Sources
- Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce--Archives
- Organizational Records
- Sonka, Anthony F., 1885-1974--Archives
- Lemon Grove Chamber of Commerce Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note