Skip to main content

Allen Dairy Collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0060

Scope and Contents

The Allen Dairy Collection documents the farm's foundation and provides several topographical maps and architectural blueprints pertaining to the dairy's construction. As the majority of the collection consists of maps and blueprints, boxes two through five document the architectural aspects of the farm. The first box consists of ribbons and medals from the Southern California Exposition and awards from the Ramona Nuevo Horse Show. Also included is an issue of the El Cajon Californian, with a front page article covering the dairy’s closure in 1975.

Dates

  • 1944-1975

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish.  Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

Historical Note

The Allen Dairy was built by Seveno Allen in 1885. It was originally located in Mission Valley where it remained until 1957, when it was relocated to El Cajon. It was the first commercial dairy to operate in San Diego County, growing to considerable prominence before 1950. In 1975, the last owner, Jack Allen, closed down operations due to rising feed costs, marginal profits, and what he considered to be unnecessary harassment by regulatory agencies. In 1978 a housing development was constructed at the El Cajon dairy site.

Extent

2.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Source of Acquisition

Aron Winchester

Accruals

1978-002

Creator

Title
Allen Dairy Collection
Status
Completed
Date
03/21/2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections & University Archives Repository

Contact:
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego CA 92182-8050 US
619-594-6791