Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Scope and Contents The Harrison Family Papers are comprised of 17 personal letters written primarily between Mr. J. S. Harrison and his wife, Julia E. Harrison during his enlistment. Letters from Julila and Mr. Harrison’s family are also included; a letter from Sallie (unknown relation) to a Mr. West; and one from Sallie writing to her husband.Two letters predate the Civil War, one in which a sister to either Mr. or Mrs. Harrison writes of the family coming to see...
Scope and Contents This collection consists of seven manuscript diaries, written while Asa Sackman was serving in the 44th Regiment, Company G, of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The diaries date from October 1861, his first month of service, to August 1862. Sackman writes almost daily about the company's movements and actions, the weather, and camp conditions, and occasionally describes encounters with Confederate troops. The manuscript notes on the diary covers list several camps in West Virginia, including...
Scope and Contents The United States Civil War Collection contains manuscript and printed materials dating from the Civil War era, as well as later items about the war. These materials include correspondence, speeches, pamphlets, and newspapers. The bulk of the material dates from 1861 to 1865, and both Northern and Southern perspectives are represented. Highlights of the collection include an 1823 bill of sale for a slave, a facsimile copy of President Abraham Lincoln's 1863...
Dates: 1811-1987; Majority of material found in 1861-1864
- Personal Papers 2
- Slave trade--Southern States--History--Sources 1
- Slave trade--United States--History--Sources 1
- Slavery--Southern States--Sources 1
- United States--History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Causes 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Regimental histories 1 ∧ less
- Harrison, J.S. 1
- Sackman, Asa 1
- Sackman, Asa, b. 1838 or 9--Diaries 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 44th (1861-1862). Company G--Diaries 1
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 8th (1861-1864). Company G--Diaries 1