Women's Association Collection
Scope and Contents
The Women's Association Collection dates from 1927-2000. It documents the activities and accomplishments of this important group over several decades. It consists solely of paper records, and includes member directories from 1940-2000, meeting minutes, the group's history and by-laws, and association newsletters. Also included are copies of the four cookbooks published by the group.
- Majority of material found in 1940-2000
- Women's Association (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
The San Diego State University Women's Association began as the Faculty Dames club in 1927. The club was established as a social organization to help faculty wives get to know each other. The club's first meeting was held February 4, 1927, where Mrs. Edward Hardy, wife of the university's president, was elected the club's first president. The seventeen charter members also elected a Vice President, a Secretary / Treasurer, and set the yearly dues at one dollar per member. Two hostesses were appointed to provide refreshments and entertainment at future meetings which were to be held at members' homes, as there was no place for them to meet on campus.
By-laws for the Faculty Dames were established in November of 1932. The group's objective was to promote education at San Diego state by providing scholarships and other charitable endeavors while promoting a more social campus. The group began working with the Dean of Women in order to help needy women students. The Faculty Dames set up a scholarship fund to help women complete their education. Many types of fundraisers were held over the years with proceeds going to their scholarship fund. The group even published four cookbooks in order to raise money.
In 1971, the Faculty Dames changed their name to Faculty Wives. They would change their name again in 1974 to Women's Club, before becoming the San Diego State University Women's Association in 1983. Membership in the group continued to grow, from 31 members in 1931 to 240 in 1970. Their scholarship fund also continued to grow and awards grew from $50 per student to $1500 per student. The SDSU Women's Association also donated to various campus groups such as KPBS, the on-campus Child Care Center, the Library, and the International Students group.
2.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Women's Association Collection
- Jennifer Hollander
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note