Skip to main content

Aztec Shops Records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0309

Scope and Contents

The Aztec Shops Records document the history of SDSU's bookstore and food services from 1959-1996. It consists solely of paper records, and includes constitutions and by-laws, financial reports, operating budgets, board minutes, and copies of the employee manual. Also included are promotional booklets and flyers, mail order catalogs, catering flyers, annual reports, and the complimentary student planners distributed by the bookstore for many years. There is no filing order.

Dates

  • 1959-1996

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish.  Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

Historical Note

San Diego State University's Aztec Shops, Ltd. was incorporated in 1931 for the sole purpose of serving faculty, students, and staff at SDSU. The bookstore and food services originally operated out of a small, temporary headquarters before the current bookstore was built in 1958. The first portion of the dining commons was completed the same year, and replaced the only food service then available on campus. East Commons was added in 1961, West Commons in 1966, and Aztec Center was opened in 1968.

Aztec Shops is responsible for the operation of all on-campus commercial services. It is run by a board comprised of the University President, the President of Associated Students, four members nominated by the University President, and four members nominated by the Associated Students President. As a non-profit corporation, Aztec Shops' earnings are used primarily for providing larger facilities and inventories, as well as purchasing additional equipment.

Extent

2.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Accruals

1977-023

Creator

Title
Aztec Shops Records
Status
Completed
Author
Jennifer Hollander
Date
09/25/2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections & University Archives Repository

Contact:
5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego CA 92182-8050 US
619-594-6791