Leon Reichel Collection
Scope and Contents
The Leon Reichel Collection consists of the business records of the San Diego north county Jewish congregation (known at various times as Congregation for Living Judaism, Temple Solel of Oceanside, North County Jewish Community Center, and eventually Temple Judea of Vista) and includes meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, and records of special programs and events from the 1950s to the early 2000s. Leon collected these materials during his years in various positions, including president of the board of directors, of the North County Jewish Community Center/Temple Judea. The collection is arranged in chronological order.
- 1954 - 2000
- Reichel, Leon (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
Leon and Grace Reichel moved to Vista California in 1952. The Reichels were very active volunteers in the secular and Jewish communities. Leon was in the construction business and used his skills to assist the north San Diego County jewish congregation in its building endeavors. In 1953 six couples started the North County Jewish Community Center, which first met in Carlsbad, then in Oceanside. The first president was Harold Simon, the first full-time rabbi was Bernard Herzig, and the longest serving rabbi was Mel Weinman. Max Furmansky was the longest serving cantor. The congregation was closely involved with the Jewish community at the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton and it went through several different names and locations in San Diego’s north county. Congregation for Living Judaism became Temple Solel of Oceanside which became the North County Jewish Community Center and eventually Temple Judea of Vista.
1 Linear Feet (One records carton)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2007 by Jan Scism, daughter of Leon and and Grace Reichel (JHSSD #2007.03).
Source of Acquisition
The Jewish Historical Society of San Diego transferred this collection to Special Collections & University Archives on December 11, 2013.
Accruals and Additions
- Leon Reichel Collection
- Bonnie Harris
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The Norman G. Levi Family Fund of the Jewish Community Foundation