Paul Schraer Collection
Scope and Contents
The Paul Schraer Collection has two parts. Box 1 contains materials related to the Beth Jacob Congregation and includes photographs of congregational activities, anniversary books and programs from special events from the 1930s to the 1980s. Box 2 contains materials related to B’nai B’rith and the Lasker, Heartland, Fox, and Weinberger lodges and includes by-laws, newsletters, membership lists, event announcements, correspondence, and a dues ledger book.
- 1948 - 1987
- Schraer, Paul (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
Beth Jacob Congregation was founded in 1939 as a conservative congregation. Their first home was at 3206 Myrtle Avenue at the corner of 32nd Street in North Park. Sandor Goldberger was the first president. Rabbi Baruch Stern became rabbi in 1947 and by 1953 the congregation had built a new synagogue on 30th Street between Meade and Monroe Avenues. They remained there until 1977 when they moved to a new synagogue at 4855 College Avenue where they remain in 2021. Since the late 1970s Beth Jacob has been an orthodox congregation.
After service in World War II, Paul Schraer (1920-2019) married Lottie, his wife of 72 years, and moved to San Diego. He was immediately hired by Ratner Clothing and became shipping foreman, a job which he held for 38 years. Paul and Lottie Schraer were members of Beth Jacob Congregation since the 1950s. Paul was very active with congregation, serving as president, board member and historian.
0.84 Linear Feet (Two Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego between 2002 and 2006 by Paul Schraer (JHSSD #2002.01).
Source of Acquisition
The Jewish Historical Society of San Diego transferred this collection to Special Collections & University Archives on November 5, 2009.
Accruals and Additions
2002, 2006, 2009-057
- Paul Schraer Collection
- Bonnie M. Harris, November 2003, and Laurel Schwartz, 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Renee Feinswog in honor of Rachel Schwartz