Lasker Lodge Collection
Scope and Contents
The Lasker Lodge Collection consists of a bound minute book, beginning with the first meeting on June 26, 1887 and ending with a meeting on January 23, 1922. In the minute book, besides the meeting minutes, there are lists of members, dues accounting, and tributes to deceased members. The Yoval (Jubilee) Book commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the lodge, containing history, photos, tributes, advertisements and pages about later B’nai B’rith groups, women, young women and young men. Also included is the lodge's original 1887 charter. The charter was donated to the JHSSD by Ted Banks in 1992, when he gave a talk at a meeting of the historical society, a recording of which can be found in the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego Oral History Archive.
- Creation: 1887 - 1937
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1887 - 1922
- Lasker Lodge (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
The Independent Order of B’nai B’rith, founded in 1843, is the oldest continually operating Jewish service organization in the world, with lodges and chapters worldwide. The first San Diego lodge, the Lasker Lodge #370 was founded in 1887 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1937. The lodge was named for Eduard Lasker.
0.62 Linear Feet (One Hollinger box and two flat files)
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2000 by the Astor Judaica Library of the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center in La Jolla, California (JHSSD #2000.05).
Source of Acquisition
The Jewish Historical Society of San Diego transferred this collection to Special Collections & University Archives on November 5, 2009.
Accruals and Additions
- Lasker Lodge Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note