Skip to main content

Founder's Day Collection

Identifier: MS-0300

Scope and Contents

The Founder's Day Collection documents the history of the college's Founder's Day festivities from the school's early years through 1980.  The collection dates from 1936-1980, with the bulk of the documents ranging from the 1940s through the 1970s. It consists solely of paper records. The collection documents the annual open house, festivities, and activities associated with SDSU's Founder's Day celebration. Included are Founder's Day programs which document the dedication of the Greek, or Open Air Theatre in 1941, and the Malcolm A. Love Library in 1971. Also included is a schedule of events booklet from the college's 50th Anniversary celebration in 1947.  Miscellaneous items such as Founder's Day invitations to students, newspaper clippings from the Daily Aztec promoting Founder's Day festivities, and Founder's Day committee meeting minutes are also included in this collection.  Materials are organized chronologically.


  • Creation: 1936-1980
  • Creation: Majority of material found in 1940-1979


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.

Historical Note

San Diego State University's Founder's Day was an annual event that took place the first day in May. Founder's Day originated as Dedication Day, a celebration commemorating the anniversary of the dedication of the original Normal School building in 1899. Dedication Day was renamed Founder's Day in the 1930s under Walter Hepner's presidency. Founder's Day festivities included an Open House where faculty members would hold meet and greet sessions for students and their families, as well as activities, exhibits and programs sponsored by individual departments.

Dedication of school monuments and landmarks also took place on Founder's Day. In 1937, a statue of an Aztec carved by prominent local sculptor Donal Hord was dedicated on Founder's Day as the new school symbol. In 1941, the Greek, or Open Air Theatre was dedicated. In 1971, the Director of Libraries, Louis A. Kenney, presided over the dedication of the Malcolm A. Love Library and unveiled a portrait of Love by Professor Emeritus Everett Gee Jackson.


1.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Accruals and Additions

1993-005, 1998-010, 2003-006

Related Materials

Irving Outcalt Papers

Founder's Day Collection
Jennifer Hollander
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections & University Archives Repository

5500 Campanile Dr. MC 8050
San Diego CA 92182-8050 US