Morris Showel Cottage of Israel Collection
Scope and Contents
The Morris Showel Cottage of Israel Collection consists of documents from promotional events either hosted by the Cottage of Israel or sponsored by other Jewish organizations in the San Diego area. It includes newspaper articles, photographs, flyers, announcements, displays, and invitations documenting the public relations efforts of the Cottage of Israel in Balboa Park from 1948 to the late 1990s. Materials are filed chronologically.
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2000 by Thelma and Al Menaker (JHSSD #1998.01.) It was transferred to Library and Information Access December 21, 2010.
- Showel, Morris (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
Morris Showel was president of the Cottage of Israel in Balboa Park when it opened in August of 1948, three months after the founding of the state of Israel. The Cottage’s operation was directed by a Board elected at an annual meeting by the general membership. Membership was open to anyone interested in Israel.
The Cottage, now known as the House of Israel, is one of the 29 exposition cottages that make up the House of Pacific Relations located in Balboa Park, San Diego, California. The House of Pacific Relations came into existence in 1935 as an expression of the vision of the late Frank Druggan, following the California Pacific International Exposition of which he was president. Through the House of Pacific Relations, Druggan hoped to promote an exchange of values and understanding among peoples of diverse national and ethnic origins.
At the close of the 1935 Exposition, a group of small buildings were declared superfluous. These structures were leased by the House of Pacific Relations and sub-leased to the various national and ethnic groups. Each group, by displaying in these structures its cultural and ethnic exhibits to the public, and by working with one another to promote their common objectives have been very successful. These groups by working together in a harmonious and friendly atmosphere demonstrate how national entities are making unique contributions and enriching the social pattern of American life.
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection were donated to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2000 by Thelma and Al Menaker (JHSSD #1998.01.) It was transferred to the Library and Information Access December 21, 2010.
Source of Acquisition
Jewish Historical Society of San Diego
- Morris Showel Cottage of Israel Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note