Jewish Federation of San Diego County Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photos, documents, minutes, newsletters, campaign materials, regarding the Jewish Federation of San Diego County from the 1940s to 2013.
- Jewish Federation of San Diego County (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections is such that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish. Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.
The first Jewish Federation was founded in Boston in 1895 as Associated Jewish Charities. Other cities formed their own Jewish charity groups, caring for the needs of their own communities and sending funds overseas to help Jews in need. In 1932 the National Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds was founded as the umbrella organization for local American and Canadian chapters. In 1939 the national United Jewish Appeal (UJA) was formed, merging the fund-raising campaigns of the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the United Palestine Appeal, and the New York Association for New Americans. In 2018 the umbrella organization is called Jewish Federations of North America.
Four local Jewish women’s charities formed the basis of what would become the Jewish Federation of San Diego County. The Ladies Hebrew Aid Society (1890), the Hebrew Sisterhood (1913), the Jolly Sixteen (circa 1912-1914) and the Junior Charity League (circa 1917) assisted the needy, gave loans and welcomed soldiers. These four women’s groups came together to found Federated Jewish Charities, which would, in 1933, split into the Jewish Welfare Fund and the San Diego Chapter of the United Jewish Fund. These were forerunners of today’s Jewish Family Service and Jewish Federation of San Diego County. It was also called the United Jewish Federation and in 2018 it is called the Jewish Federation of San Diego County. The purpose was to provide financial, religious and moral support for Jewish communities in the United States and across the world. In 1946 Federation women created their own Women’s Division. In 2018 it is called Women’s Philanthropy of the Jewish Federation of San Diego County.
15.13 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Miriam Norten, Major Gifts and Planned Giving Manager and Susan Halleday, CFO of the Jewish Federation of San Diego County donated this collection to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego in 2013.
Source of Acquisition
Jewish Historical Society of San Diego
Accruals and Additions
- Jewish Federation of San Diego County Collection
- Stanley Schwartz and Laurel Schwartz
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note