Hillel of San Diego Scrapbooks
Scope and Contents
The Hillel of San Diego Scrapbooks collection consists of four scrapbooks documenting the history of the Jewish Student Organization of San Diego from 1947 to 1976, preliminary decades to the formation of Hillel of San Diego under the auspices of the United Jewish Federation in 1977. The scrapbooks include by-laws and other organizational records, flyers, newspaper clippings, photographs, and newsletters advertising student events both on and off campus. Scrapbooks are filed chronologically.
- Creation: 1947 - 1976
- Hillel of San Diego (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
The first general meeting for the establishment of a Jewish Counselorship on campus at San Diego State College was held on May 20, 1947 at the San Diego Club. This meeting involved prominent members of the Jewish community in San Diego, such as Al Hutler of the United Jewish Fund, Abraham Nasatir, professor at San Diego State College, Morrie Douglas of the Lasker Lodge B'nai B'rith, Morrie Kraus, Rabbi Jehudah Cohen. Ed Breitbard, and others. Also in attendance were 50 Jewish students from campus. The installation ceremony for the newly formed Jewish Student Organization was held September 30, 1947.
2.16 Linear Feet (Two 13" x 18" newspaper boxes)
Language of Materials
Dr. Lawrence Baron donated this collection to the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego November 1, 1999 (JHSSD #1999.05).
Source of Acquisition
The Jewish Historical Society of San Diego transferred this collection to Special Collections & University Archives on May 22, 2008.
Other Descriptive Information
Since 2007, the Jewish Historical Society of San Diego has transferred numerous collections to Special Collections and University Archives.
- San Diego State University--Students--Societies, etc. (Organization)
- Hillel of San Diego Scrapbooks
- Bonnie Harris
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note