Bureau of Jewish Education of San Diego Records
Scope and Contents
The Bureau of Jewish Education of San Diego Records consist of the administrative and program files of the bureau from its founding as the Jewish Education Commission in 1949 up to the mid 1970s. Of note are the files pertaining to the bureau's educational arms, including the Institute of Jewish Studies under the Jewish Education Commission, and later the three schools established under the Bureau of Jewish Education: Hebrew High School, Teachers Institute, and College of Judaism. Another group of records documents the bureau's involvement in the education committee of the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds. Document types include correspondence, meeting minutes, financial records, course materials, newsletters and reports. The materials are grouped by the name of the body which produced them and document type and are filed in chronological order.
Additional files pertaining to the bureau and its activities since 1987, when it was renamed Agency for Jewish Education, can be found in the Agency for Jewish Education Collection, MS-0573.
- 1948 - 1974
- Majority of material found within 1950 - 1968
- Bureau of Jewish Education (San Diego, Calif.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright interests in some or all of these materials have not been transferred to San Diego State University. Copyright resides with the creator(s) of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. The nature of archival collections is such that multiple creators are often applicable and copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. In any case, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, obtaining publication rights and copyright infringement. When requesting images from Special Collections & University Archives for publication, we require a signed agreement waiving San Diego State University of any liability in the event of a copyright violation.
The Bureau of Jewish Education of San Diego was established in 1949 (after preliminary discussions in 1948) to provide religious and cultural education to the entire Jewish community. Founded as the Jewish Education Commission, the organization's name was changed to the Bureau of Jewish education in 1968. The bureau was supported by the United Jewish Federation and local congregations Beth Israel, Beth Jacob, and Tifereth Israel. San Diego State faculty including Abraham Nasatir were involved with the bureau. Programs included monthly forums and semester-long courses for high school students, teachers in training, and adult community members on topics including Jewish history, music, literature, customs, marriage and family life, Hebrew and Yiddish. The Bureau was affiliated with the Council of Jewish Federations & Welfare Funds, Inc., the Committee on Federation Planning for Jewish Education, the American Association for Jewish Education, and the Institute of Jewish Studies. In 1987 the bureau was renamed the Agency for Jewish Education.
0.42 Linear Feet (One Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
- Bureau of Jewish Education of San Diego Records
- Ellen Jarosz
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note